Follow Michelle0529 on Twitter

Saturday, March 7, 2009

iPods in the Classroom?

While reading through some educational blogs, I came across the idea of using iPods as an educational tool. I thought it was really interesting and looked into it further.

I found this video :

This video shows how iPods are used for special education. The teacher has students who are mostly non-verbal or have hearing loss. This applies to me because the students that I work with are also mostly non-verbal. I work with students who have Autism, so I thought that this might be something I could learn from. The teacher and interpreter talk about how they made videos of interpretations of books and signs for parents to learn, voice memos back and forth for parents, video portfolios, and learning vocabulary. One idea I like is creating video portfolios. I've always like the idea of making portfolios to evaluate students, but making a video portfolio really puts a different twist on it.

Besides using this type of iPod seen in the video, there is also a lot of talk going on about the iPod touch. I found this blog (http://mrjonesed.blogspot.com/2008/01/ipod-touch-in-classroom.html) that discusses how the iPod touch can be used in a classroom. Also, this website (http://learninginhand.com/ipod/touch.html) that explain using the iPod touch for blog posting, applications, web apps, audio, video, podcasting, photos, and much more.

What are your opinions about using iPods? Does anyone have any other examples of ways they might be used in the classroom?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle,
    I am in your Walden class and found the Ipod video fascinating. Our students are not allowed to have any electronic devices out during the school day. If they are seen by the teacher, we are to confiscate them, turn them into administration, and parents must come to the school to retrieve them. I never considered using an IPod for educational purposes. In fact, I have never even had one in my hands. This gives me food for thought.

    Thanks,
    D.R.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Using iPods in the classroom makes so much sense. What better way to interest our students by using something that they use daily for entertainment.
    I know there are many opportunities to earn iPods for your district by applying for grants. After watching this video, I am feeling inspired to write a grant!
    Thank you for posting this,
    Marcella

    ReplyDelete