Follow Michelle0529 on Twitter

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Learning Strategies & Cognitive Theory

Part of the cognitive theory, according to Dr. Orey in his presentation, "Cognitive Learning Theories," is making connections between pieces of information being learned (Laureate, 2008). It is important to know how the mind and memory itself works when giving students large amounts of information to organize and learn. We also have to teach our students to use these tools effectively. Some students may not know the proper way to take notes or summarize. Concept mapping is an example of organization that replicates the network model of memory (Laurette, 2008). There are several cognitive tools that exist for assisting learners in organizing information. Learners construct meaning in a way unique to themselves (Orey, 2001).

Our text book, Using Technology with Classroom Instruction that Works, by Pitler, presents two strategies, "Cues, Questions, and Advance Organizers" and "Summarizing and Not Taking." Each of these chapters provided several examples of how to integrate technology in way that promotes higher level thinking. The first chapter l mentioned looks at introducing new content to students and how you can help
students activate their prior knowledge. Once this happens and you begin to tell students what they are going to be learning about, they should have a way to organize the content and focus their learning. One reccomendation by Pitler (2007), which I felt was very important was, "Teach students how to use graphic advance organizers" (p.74). If students don't understand how to use a graphic organizer, they are not going to be able to benefit from it's purpose. When you present new material, it is good to ask students questions that make students think or come up with inferences. Kidspiration and Inspiration seem like great tools to use for students to organize information. Teachers have the ability to add graphics, sound, and video, which reach different learning styles. Another great thing is that these organizers can be used as assessment pieces. Students can be given a blank organizer at the end of a unit and fill in the necessary text and drawings (Pitler, 2007). One way that these tools relate to the cognitive theory is that they utilize computers as a "mind-extension." The online text, "Cognitive Tools," states that, "When students work with computer technology, instead of being controlled by it, they enhance the capabilities of the computer, and the computer enhances their thinking and learning" (Orey, 2001). Using advance organizers helps students to visualize the information they are learning.

The second chapter I mentioned was, "Summarizing and Note Taking." Being able to pull out important information and synthesize it is a skill students must be taught. Pitler (2007) states,"To effectively summarize, students must delete some information, substitute some information, and keep some information" (p.119). I was surprised that I had never figured out that Microsoft Word has an AutoSummarize Tool. Students can use this tool to see if their writing has the main idea they were aiming for. One strategy I liked for note taking was the inverted T, which can be used in PowerPoint as well. Facts and notes are recorded on the left side, drawings and representations on the right, and a summary under the bar of the T (Pitler, 2007). Another new strategy to me is collaborative note taking using software such as a blog or wiki. Students can use these web pages to add and edit information as a group.



Overall, I feel that technology is a great tool for students to organize information in a way that appeals to them as individuals. Students can choose layouts or different types of concept maps that work best for them. They can also add images or other media that make personal connections for them to better understand new material.

References:
Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2008). Cognitive learning theories [Motion Picture], Bridging learning theory, instruction, and technology. [DVD] Baltimore: Orey.

Orey, M. (Ed.). (2001). Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works, Alexandria, VA: ASCD.



3 comments:

  1. Michelle,

    I really enjoyed reading your entry - great insight! I, too, was intrigued by the inverted T chart for note taking. I think as a teacher, I too often forget that my students don't come to me knowing how to take notes. I always encourage them to take notes when we watch a video or have a speaker, but I seldom actually teach them the process of note taking. And, most note taking methods are too cumbersome to teach 3rd graders. This T chart method looks like it would be easy enough for 3rd graders to understand and would be manageable for them to complete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle,
    Coming into this weeks resources, I had very limited knowledge of the cognitive learning theory, and concept maps. The cognitive learning theory talks about the importance of our students making connections from prior knowledge to new information being presented to them. This is a key element when trying to get our students to retain information being presented to them. Many times in the past in my classroom, I would give worksheets that asked questions, and I would have my students answer the question. We would go over it, and I would make the connection between information for my students, instead of making them make the connection themselves. This is where I feel that concept maps will help me the most in my classroom. I am a Social Studies teacher, and most of my lessons are connected to each other. This week I began to think of the many ways that I could use concept maps in my classroom. I started to think about every chapter that I teach, and I could use concept maps to connect all of them. This will be great for my students, because they could get a better idea of why a historical event happened by making connections from their prior knowledge of the events that lead up to the event. I feel that this will help my students get a better understanding of why the event happened, and this will help their long term memory of the information.
    Also, looking at your post, I liked your idea of using graphic organizers as an assessment tool at the end of a unit. It would be great on a test for me. I could give the students a graphic organizer with some sort of information, and the students would have to fill in the blanks and make their own connections between the information, and this would be a great tool to see if my students really grasped the information from the chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made some very good points and connections. I too feel that note taking is an important part in developing this learning skill. Too many times my students want to write every aspect down when they are taking notes. I have explain and even provided them with rules on the proper way they should be writing down the information. They do not understand that note taking is not just another assignment. Note taking is an essential part of the learning experience and process. I give all my notes using PowerPoint presentations. I try when I create them to make as basic as possible. I summarize most of the information that I can without losing the main point but, there is still room for my students to break down the information further. All in all, your points are clear and as professional we should be more aware of why are students are learning and not why they are not.

    ReplyDelete