Follow Michelle0529 on Twitter

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

*My GAME Plan*

For my GAME plan, I will need to:
1. Set Goals
2. Take Action
3. Monitor my Learning
4. Evaluate & Extend my Learning

I plan on following these steps to help develop professionally and to keep up to date on new things in order to help my students learn better. The NETS-T standards describe the ways that teachers should guide student learning experiences when integrating technology. Honestly, before taking these classes at Walden, I wasn't very familiar with these performance indicators for teachers. I'm glad that I am looking more into them so that I understand them. I am going to use these standards to determine what indicators I feel I need more confidence in.

The first standard/ indicator I am looking to improve on is Standard 2: "Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experience and Assessments." The indicator is D: "provide students with multiple and varied formative and summative assessments aligned with content and technology standards and use resulting data to inform learning and teaching." My goal would be to become more familiar with different types of assessment. Especially assessment when working with technology. The action I would take would be to talk more with other teachers about what types of assessment tools they use and why they like certain methods. I would also like to collaborate with other technology teachers from different areas to see their perspectives on student evaluation when integrating technology and content area learning. I would have to monitor what I learned by keeping some type of record of different assessment strategies that I have collected. Finally, I would evaluate my learning by actually putting some of these strategies into play and reflecting on the results.

A second standard/indicator I would like to gain more confidence in is Standard 5: "Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership." The indicator is: "participate in local and global learning communities to explore creative applications of technology to improve student learning." This also is similar to Standard 4d, which includes modeling cultural understanding by engaging with colleagues & students using collaboration tools. I am choosing this standard because I have not had an opportunity to connect with other teachers or students on a global level. It would be nice to connect with others to see what they are doing and what types of technology they are using. My first goal is to find some way to connect with teachers in other countries online. I would like to gain cultural insight and share what I know. Does anyone have any good ideas for connecting with teachers from another country? My course of action would be to find blogs, sharing communities, or teacher collaboration sites and become a dedicated visitor. In order to monitor my learning, I would have to make a set time in my schedule to collaborate with others. I could evaluate my learning by sharing information I learned with teachers that I work with.

I need more confidence in all of the standards because I have not had experience in a classroom all my own, besides student teaching. The GAME plan can be applied to all different areas and I am going to try to use it more to be sure that my goals are successfully met.

Resources:
http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForTeachers/2008Standards/NETS_T_Standards_Final.pdf

5 comments:

  1. Your goal of communicating with teachers in other countries is one I would also like to accomplish. Unfortunately I do not know quite how to do that. Perhaps a search on AltaVista with the host:edu + approach would work. Are there foreign exchange students in your school district? They may provide contact information.

    I have had some experience with online and computer based assessments. I use Examview by Cengage which permits me to have students take objective tests and quizzes via our school network. It automatically scores them and provides me with a variety of reports. I can see for each question what percentage of students answered it incorrectly and which 'incorrect' answer they used most often.

    My accounting students have both formative and summative assessments done via an online site (www.aplia.com). Since beginning the online assessment last year, students' learning has improved noticeably. I love using technology as an assessment tool.

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diane-
    Thanks so much for your response! Now that you brought up the idea of foreign exchange students in my school, I thought of something that I hadn't before. We actually have a program at my school, were people from other countries come over to work for 6 months to a year. I believe it's called international learning exchange (http://ilexchange.net/). These people from human service or related fields come to our school from other countries to work at a teacher's assistant or in the residential program. I can't believe I didn't even think of this! I would be able to talk to one of them about contacting teachers in another country.
    Thank your for the assessment ideas as well, I will have to look further into them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle,

    I like the two standards that you chose. I took my post more from what would benefit my students most by what I chose to improve my GAME plan with, but I like your approach of how to add more to your abiilties of using technology. I also liked that you want to look at different types of assessments. Students need to have a variety of different ways of be assessed and so it is important to help find other ways to assess them. I am going to continue to try and look for ways to connect to places overseas and let you know what I find. Good luck with your GAME plan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle,

    I really liked your idea of connecting with classrooms in other countries. I teach at a low income urban high school where many of the students are refugees from countries around the world. I think by using technology to connect with classrooms in those countries that my students could feel a connection that many of them yearn for back in their home counties. I'm not exactly sure if there are any easy ways to connect or find classrooms around the world, but I am going to ask the head of the ESL department at my school to see if she has any ideas. I think your GAME plan is solid, and that your students will benefit from the 21st century education that you will provide them.

    ReplyDelete