Follow Michelle0529 on Twitter

Friday, October 15, 2010

Update

Just thought I would take a minute to update.  I've been extremely busy between two jobs.  Subbing has been going great so far.  I had a placement at middle school yesterday.  It was my first time at that level, I had been getting called for the elementary school prior to that.  It was extremely chaotic in the morning because there was an overflow of subs in the office due to a teacher training workshop going on.  Time was ticking and I was waiting to get my assignment.  I like to have enough time to prepare and read over the plans.  One of the most stressful things is only having 5-10 mins to prepare.  So, I was thrown into an eighth grade English class!  Not as scary as I thought, being that I almost look like a student myself.  First period went great and as the day went on, the students got more rambunctious.  I had a few challenges with students who were being inappropriate and just talking about things that weren't related to the lesson.  All in all, it wasn't bad; I was able to maintain control and get through what the teacher had left, for the most part.  I like subbing at the middle school level because of the way the day is broken up. I like having new sets of students and being able to refine my lessons if I know something did or did not work well for a previous class. 

 I've been trying to find more educational pages on Facebook to follow.  Here are some I will share:

National Geographic
The Teacher's Hub
Social Media in Education
Edutopia
Verizon Thinkfinity
Gateway to 21st Century Skills
I am Teacher

There are tons of great resources and information for teachers on these pages.  

1 comment:

  1. Michelle,
    I'm glad you enjoyed your middle school experience. I, too, like the idea that my day is segmented into different grade-levels and lessons. As you said, I can refine my lesson plan, "on the fly" so to speak. Others would call that "monitoring and adjusting." Either way, it shows that you are motivated to help the students learn.

    ReplyDelete